11.6.08

Google-y Eyes Goes Down

So I've been rocking this stickered-up Etch for a while now. It burst on to the scene in October and instantly kicked my game up a notch with "Don't Tase Me Bro":

Don't Tase Me Bro

While it may seem like those are just random stickers that someone gave me, they're actually extremely symbollical. Being the mysterious artist type that I am, I've never revealed their hidden meaning until now. For the record: the zebra is on the left-right knob and it represents the flat, endless plains of Africa upon which civilization and human culture was born. The cat-piloted lightning bolt rocket ship on the up-down knob represents civilization's future and highest aspirations, the ultimate promise of technology and science; i.e. sending kittens into space.

Eli Manning

Some time around the Super Bowl I added the all-seeing Google-y Eyes in honor of Google Image search, which is sort of my neo-Platonic paradise of visual reference material. The smiley mouth represents "get it? get it? It's a joke, see what I did there?"

The Google-y Eyed Etch-A-Sketch has served me well these past months. It has reliably produced some of my favorite pieces.

Sadly, however, it has recently started to leak:
leak

The grey dust around the knobs is the first sign that this art-toy's days are numbered. Soon that dust will start getting on my fingers and then it'll spread to everything I touch. After that, it will start to slowly eat my brain. The aluminum powder in an Etch-a-Sketch is the same kind of dust that almost killed Buddy Epson when he tried to play the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.

And so I must sadly announce that Google-y Eyes is being retired. Rather than just throw it in the trash, I thought a better way to honor Goog's contribution to the History of Etch-a-Sketch Art would be to sell it for far much more money than it's worth and donate all the proceeds to myself. If you've got $200 + shipping and handling, and an awesome picture you'd like me to sketch, hit me up at etchasketchist(at)gmail(dot)com and you could be the proud owner of this one-of-a-kind piece. I will draw your image with love and painstaking care. And when I'm done I will ritualistically stab the Etch-a-Sketch in the back and pour its guts out to preserve your picture for eternity. Then I will ship it off to you so you can do whatever you like with it. Hang it on a wall and look at it a lot or just leave it strewn casually on a coffee table and pretend you drew it when people ask about it. Really, I don't mind.

1 comment:

mariam said...

Aw....sad. This guy has been leaking for a couple years, and things get harder to erase. But I only have the one big guy.